Sunday, April 10, 2016

Paying someone versus doing it yourself

Those that follow me on the facebook probably know that my Durango did not quite pass the inspection mandated annually by the state.  The state does not require that the shop that does the inspection do the work, but they do require that the facility give you a written list of what is wrong and you typically have between 14 and 30 days to make the corrections.  Of course there is an estimate of how much it will cost to make corrections, and it reads to a total of $1281.75.

First item: wiper blades.
Their cost (including labor) $41.98
My cost $18.00
SAVINGS:$23.98

Wiper blades are one of the easiest things to do, as the vast majority of them snap in and out.  Considering I replaced mine about two weeks before the inspection I think this is just extra money in their pocket.

Second item: Front shocks (both)
Their cost (including labor) $219.98
My cost $55.98
SAVINGS:$164   Running savings: $182

The labor per hour at Firestone is $106.00, which tells me that their shocks are $56.99 each.  My shocks (Monroe gas-a-matic) are $27.99 each and it took me less than 30 minutes to install them both.  Don't get me wrong, I know it costs money to operate a shop, which is why labor rates are what they are.

Third item: right rear tire replacement.
Their cost $152.40
My cost $161.98
SAVINGS:$-9.58 Running savings $172.42

Ok so I spent a little more on this than Firestone's price, but then again they wanted to replace my brand new wiper blades at a cost of $41.98.  I was able to get my tire replaced the same day by a tire outfit down the street from my job which helped out tremendously.

Fourth item: Front driveshaft reinstallation
Their cost (including labor) $697.59
My cost $30 (for replacement shaft to transfer case bolts)
SAVINGS $667.59 Running savings $840.01

I had removed the front shaft to make the broken transfer case last a little longer, and frankly had not gotten around to reinstalling the shaft.  That being said, the vehicle does not require a front shaft to pass inspection, as the law states that the vehicle must be able to move forward and backward.  The presence or absence of the front shaft does not affect this.

Fifth item: Right front side marker lamp lens assembly.
Their cost: undetermined
My cost: $26.83, including shipping

Firestone was not able to give me a price for this job because they could not look it up, however, I can presume that they would at the least charge me for the factory part, whether or not I actually got the factory part.

The part I got from parts geek is a reproduction part admittedly.  It does fit, however, and it does work.  My biggest problem with having to replace this is where it was broken there is no bulb to damage or burn out.  No matter because the truck looks better with the new part.

So, the total cost of doing this myself is $262.79. This alone is a savings of just over $1000.
If I were to do this for someone else, there would be $300 in labor at $60 per hour, which while I do not have a shop, I do feel that my time is worth something.

With this, there is something to be said about being able to do at least some of your own maintenance and repair on your vehicle.  Don't get me wrong, there are some that do not know how, or are uncomfortable doing this sort of work, or maybe they or you just don't want to do it.  This is all fine and good, but to save yourself money, in this case substantial money, this is a good start.


No comments:

Post a Comment