Sunday, August 4, 2019

Door seal replacement with salvage yard parts.

The seals on my doors were looking like they were chewed on by troll monkeys.


Keeping this simple: I was not happy with the seals on the front doors of the Durango.  The problem is that mother mopar no longer makes them, and nobody in the aftermarket world makes them exactly as they are now, minus the damage.  I decided to comb the yards, just to see if I could find a decent set of seals to install.

I finally found a pair at pic-a-part, a local to me yard that has surprised me by what they have in the past.  The cost? Five bucks each. Sold and out the door.

The following tutorial can be used in theory for pretty much any door seal, just take your time and make notes of where things are, how they are installed, how they come apart, etc...

The basics that you will need include two rags, the "new" seals, rubbing alcohol (or other suitable cleaner), a trim tool, silicone spray and (not pictured) a screwdriver.

Start by removing the sill plate at the bottom of the door using the appropriate tools.  In my Durango, I just pulled up on it with the trim tool.  Then gently pry off the surrounding trim.  Usually, trim pieces are just held in place by clips and so forth.  There may be a screw or two holding in the kick plate, so undo those and then remove the kick plate.  You should now be able to remove the old seal after making a note of where and how it is installed.

Because my camera is acting up these days, I don't have a picture of the mess that was left behind after removing the old seal.  I used rubbing alcohol to remove about eighteen years of dirt and grime to ensure a good fit.

Install the seal as the old one was removed. usually there is a metal strip within the seal that helps to hold it in place, but depending on the vehicle there can be clips or other means of retaining the seal to the door, or body.

So here is the new seal installed in the door. At this point, reinstall the trim pieces the same way you took them off.  I used silicone spray to soften the rubber, something that should be done every so often to keep them sealing and in good order.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment